Interested in interning in Europe or Eurasia this summer? The WCEE Internship Initiative connects LSA undergraduates of all language backgrounds and majors with opportunities created specifically for Michigan students. Going beyond the internship, students receive preparation and support throughout the international experience to connect with other international interns, develop as professionals, and gain confidence in resilient traveling.
To get started, join our interest listserv here or come to drop-in advising!
Winter 2020 Advising: Drop-in to the 5th floor of Weiser Hall on Fridays from 1-3 for advising. If you are not available at that time, please email email@example.com to set up an appointment or phone call.
Some topics that can be explored during advising include:
- Identifying opportunities that fit your personal, academic, and professional interests
- Learning about past interns’ experiences
- Feedback on internship applications, budgets, health & safety, etc.
- Funding options
- Apply to vetted opportunities: the Weiser Center for Europe & Eurasia works directly with employers and alumni to design meaningful internship opportunities for our students. This allows you to gain valuable career experience and explore your interests in an immersive international setting.
- Join a cohort: Meet other international interns and past participants for guidance along the way.
- Support from WCEE: We provide support in navigating the internship search, preparing to go abroad, and reflecting on the experience. After you return, we help you articulate the skills you’ve gained in a professional way to prepare you for whatever comes next.
- Develop intercultural fluency: Navigating a new work and cultural environment will challenge you to become a stronger communicator and gain a better understanding of local customs and values. Many students also enhance their foreign language skills during their time abroad.
Students must be undergraduates who are returning the fall semester after their internship. We welcome students at any stage in their undergraduate career to apply. There is often a pretty even split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year students!
The WCEE Internship Initiative is designed to provide you with support so that you can get the most out of your international internship. Students who accept an internship with the WCEE Internship Initiative must commit to the following:
- Completion of the internship as agreed upon between the student and the employer (exceptions may be made in the event of an emergency).
- Timely communication with the employer and WCEE staff.
- Participation in WCEE Internship Initiative programming, including health & safety preparation, pre-departure orientation, and a post-internship reunion.
- Weekly reflections on YellowDig with the rest of the internship cohort throughout the duration of the internship.
- Appropriate behavior in line with the U-M Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities and all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
WCEE Internship Initiative Statement
- Please submit a one-page statement addressing why you are applying to the WCEE Internship Initiative (this can be reused for all WCEE applications). This statement is only reviewed by WCEE and is not forwarded to the employer.
- Include why you want to join the WCEE Internship Initiative, how participating in the program and interning abroad will benefit you, and how this aligns with your future personal, academic, and/or professional goals.
- Funding: Indicate if you anticipate needing funding support to assist WCEE in the funding review process.
Resume & Cover Letter
- Please tailor your resume and cover letter for each position. These two documents will be forwarded to the employer.
- In your cover letter make sure that you provide insight into why you are interested in this organization, why you are interested in this internship, and what makes this an opportunity align well with your future goals in the field.
- The Career Center has resources for resumes & cover letters on their website.
- Oct 1: Summer 2020 internships start being posted on the LSA Opportunity Network
- Dec 1 at 11:59 PM: Priority deadline to submit applications
- Jan 20 at 11:59 PM: Second deadline to submit applications
- Dec-Jan: Employers review resumes and cover letters
- Jan-Feb: Employers conduct video interviews
- Feb 15 at 11:59 PM: International Institute funding applications due
- Note: If you have applied for an internship through the Weiser Centers Internship Initiative, you do not need to have a confirmed internship in order to apply. Instead, list and rank the internships you have applied for and write a statement of grant purpose explaining the ones you applied for and how it will benefit you.
- Feb-Mar: Students receive internship offers
- Mar-Apr: Students complete pre-departure requirements, including attending Pre-Departure Orientations
Past WCEE Internship Initiative Cohorts
Nathaniel Bogardus, BA LSA, Museum of Nonconformist Art (Russia)
Madalasa Chaudhari, BA International Studies, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Anabela Dokic, BA LSA, Post-Conflict Research Center (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Suzanna Duba, BS Information/International Studies, Ernst & Young (Russia)
Xhulia Guri, BA LSA, Municipality of Tirana (Albania)
Kreszentia Hankins; BS Biology, Health, & Society/German; University of Leipzig (Germany)
Una Jakupovic, BA LSA, Fulbright Commission (Poland)
Tommy Lau, BS Biomolecular Science, Bellini Music School (Italy)
Emily Learman, BA German/History, Tatra Museum (Poland)
Anton Lekocaj, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Collin Murphy, BA History, Institute for Human Rights (North Macedonia)
David Muso, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Minh-Quan Nguyen, BSE Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, Culture.pl (Poland)
Logan Niswander, BA Public Policy, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Albi Popaj, BBA Business Administration, Municipality of Tirana (Albania)
Catherine Szkop, BS Evolutionary Anthropology, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (Poland)
Nissa Thodesen-Kasparian, BA History/International Studies, Municipality of Tirana (Albania)
Allison Young, BS Italian, Bellini Music School (Italy)
Patricia Angus, BA International Studies/Political Science, KIPRED Kosovar Institute for Policy Research and Development (Kosovo)
Piaofan Cai, BA International Studies, Faculty of Arts at Comenius University (Slovakia)
Alexander Deighton, BA Anthropology, Kortil Gallery (Croatia)
Marielle Dewicki, BA International Studies, Bellini Music School (Italy)
Nora Dolliver, MA REES/MSI Library & Information Science, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (Poland)
Elizabeth Einig; BS Biopsychology, Cognition, & Neuroscience; University of Leipzig (Germany)
Jangul Erlon-Baurjan; BA Public Policy/REES, Post-Conflict Research Center (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
Zofia Ferki, BA Creative Writing/German, Estrel (Germany)
Katherine Hunt, BA English/Music, Bellini Music School (Italy)
Nikola Jaksic, BA English/History, INCroatia
Alexander Johnson, BA LSA, Institute for Human Rights (Macedonia)
Kristen Kelley, BA Economics/Political Science, GONG (Croatia)
Dajana Korcari, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Elizabeth Lawrence, BA LSA, Culture.pl (Poland)
Yiwen Lin, BA International Studies/Psychology, University of Leipzig (Germany)
Aleksandra Luca, BA Political Science, European Movement Albania
Caitlyn Nalley, BS Environment/International Studies, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Ermelinda Ndoka; BS Biopsychology, Cognition, & Neuroscience; Municipality of Tirana (Albania)
Maeve Poggensee, BA Linguistics, Bellini Music School (Italy)
Samantha Schefka, BA Communication Studies, Culture.pl (Poland)
Katalin Schmidt, BA English/German, Estrel (Germany)
Emily Schmitt, BA German, Faculty of Arts at Comenius University (Slovakia)
Allison Schneider, BA History of Art, Kortil Gallery (Croatia)
Halle Thannickal, BS Cellular & Molecular Biology, Subversive (Macedonia)
John Vulaj, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Alyssa Walters, BA History/International Studies, Youth Initiative for Human Rights (Croatia)
Piaoyang Wang, MSI Information, GTEC German Tech Entrepreneurship Center (Germany)
Alexander Wegrzyn, BA International Studies/Polish, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (Poland)
Payton White, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Maryellen Zbrozek; BS Ecology, Evolution, & Biodiversity; Fulbright Commission (Poland)
Emily Beaver, BA Communication Studies, INCroatia (Croatia)
Hana Berishaj, BA Political Science, European Movement Albania (Albania)
Diarra Brooks, BA Psychology, Subversive Front (Macedonia)
Hope Chen, studyclever GmbH (Germany)
Vivienne Chi, studyclever GmbH (Germany)
David Cichocki, BA Economics/Polish, Fulbright Commission (Poland)
Claire DeHeus, Humboldt University Berlin, Institute of Psychology (Germany)
Elizabeth Ditullio, BA LSA, Youth Initiative for Human Rights (Croatia)
Michelle Gurevich, German Tech Entrepreneurship Center (GTEC) (Germany)
Matt Harmon, BA LSA, Culture.pl (Poland)
Michael Keller, BA LSA, Culture.pl (Poland)
Tc Knowles, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Payton Krause, Humboldt University Berlin, Institute of Psychology (Germany)
Nora Kuo, BS Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Rachel Machuta, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Tansy Masey-Green, BS Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, National Institute of Biology Marine Biology Station (Slovenia)
Margaret O’Connor, Humboldt University Berlin, Institute of Psychology (Germany)
Zach Ozbun, University of Michigan Alumni Club of Berlin (Germany)
Konrat Pekkip, BA LSA, GONG (Croatia)
Abigail Siegal, BA LSA, Fulbright Commission (Poland)
Christopher Terry, BA LSA, National Institute of Biology Marine Biology Station (Slovenia)
Xinyu Martin Tong, BA Economics/Mathematics, Fulbright Commission (Slovakia)
Kimberly Truong, BA Sociology, GONG (Croatia)
Alyssa Walters, BA History, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (Poland)
Amanda West, BA LSA, National Coastal Agency of Albania
Alexander Wood, BA Public Policy, INCroatia (Croatia)
Hunter Zhao, BA History, Post-Conflict Research Center (Bosnia & Herzegovina)