Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) is pleased to make available grants for summer research projects or internships for current undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Funding is intended to be used within Europe/Eurasia. Please contact WCEE for questions regarding projects outside the region.
Deadline: February 15 at 11:59 pm
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree programs at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Eligible students must return to campus for at least one term prior to graduation. Applicants for research grants may be at preliminary or more advanced stages of their research, and the research project must be at least one month in length. Applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region, and the internship must constitute at least a 30-hour-per-week time commitment for a minimum of six weeks. Applicants for study (only supported for undergraduates through Albania Fellowships and Kabcenell New Europe Grants) must be registered for an approved study abroad program during the spring and/or summer terms.
Note: The application for Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia is submitted using the online application used for several International Institute student fellowships. Please see the II Individual Fellowships page for more detailed information on application components.
- Application form
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- Project expense information
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
- Letter of invitation or description of in country resources (You do not have to have an internship Letter of Invitation to apply for Weiser Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe and Eurasia, but rather may upload a list of the internships to which you are applying in place of the Letter of Invitation.)
Reporting: A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Selection Process: A selection committee comprised of faculty affiliated with the Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia will evaluate the applications on the following criteria: feasibility, relevance to degree program, relevance to career goals, record of academic achievement, and overall quality of the application. Applicants should not assume they will receive an award, and should not purchase airline tickets before the awards are announced if they cannot cover the cost from other sources.
University of Michigan Travel Policy
All U-M students traveling abroad for university-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and purchase U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad. For information about the U-M international travel policy and other international education resources, see Global Michigan.
- CES Summer Research and Internship Grants support summer research or internships for projects about Europe and European integration. Awards up to $2000
- CREES Research, Internship, and Fellowship (CRIF) Program Grants support summer research projects or internships at institutions in Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union. Awards up to $1500 or amount specified below
- Ukrainian Research Grants are available for summer research projects focused on Ukraine. Awards up to $1000
- Copernicus Summer Grants support summer research projects or internships in Poland. Awards up to $5000
- Amelia Kulesa Konopka Fellowships support summer research projects or internships in Poland. Awards up to $5000
- WCED Summer Fellowships support summer research projects or internships in Europe/Eurasia to better understand the conditions and policies fostering transformations from authoritarian rule to democracy. Awards up to $2500
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY
- Albanian Community Summer Fellowships support study, research, or internships in Albania and in neighboring countries preparing to join the European Union. Awards up to $1000
- Kabcenell New Europe Grants provide funding for summer study, research, or internships in countries that became European Union members in 2004 or later, or are current candidate countries. Awards $1000-$5000