Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

General Campus Resources

Resources on Graduate Study

Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies

Rackham's website provides a wealth of resources on graduate student life, including diversity issues, health and wellness, mental health resources, events and workshops, graduate student organizations, and campus and community resources.

Rackham's New Student Welcome pages provide a wealth of information and links to resources that help you make the transition to being a graduate student at the University of Michigan.

Graduate School Blog offers up-to-date pointers about professional development opportunities, issues in graduate education, tips on maintaining wellness, campus news, and much more.  The blog also showcases posts from a group of graduate student bloggers as they share their perspectives on graduate student life.

Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshops

Rackham Graduate School sponsors interdisciplinary study groups for graduate students and faculty called Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshops (RIW).  These workshops focus on an interdisciplinary topic, involve faculty and students from multiple departments and hold informal workshops, reading groups, and social events.  Japanese Studies Interdisciplinary Colloquium (JSIC) is a Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshop sponsored by CJS.

Computing on Campus

Standard Computing Package

Information and Technology Services (ITS) manages computing services for students.  All registered students are provided with a Standard Computing Package that includes access to public computing sites, email, personal file storage, and printing.  For an introduction to computing on campus, see the Getting Connected Orientation Guide on the ITS website.

Using Wireless on Campus

Most campus buildings are covered by the university's wireless network.  Go to the ITS WiFi website for more information and step by step instructions on how to connect to MWireless network, the secure and preferred method for connecting for UM students.

Mobile Computing

If you have a smart phone, there are free apps as well as mobile-friendly websites.  Go to the ITS Mobile Apps Center for more information.

Buying Computers and Software

UM offers sales of computer hardware and software at academic discount for eligible students, faculty and staff.  See the Computer Showcase website for more information on eligibility, what's available, and how to purchase.

Resources for Students with Special Needs

Health Care

University Health Service is the on-campus health care provider for students, and operates a walk-in clinic for urgent care.  Most routine services provided at UHS are free to registered students.  UHS also provides care for student's family members for a fee and accepts most major insurance.  UHS provides routine medical care, including gynecological, mental health, and vision services, and makes referrals to specialists when it cannot provide the necessary services.  UHS also provides health insurance for purchase to domestic students.  (International students go to the International Center to obtain their health insurance.)

Counseling and Psychological Services provides free counseling to registered students.

Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities supports the needs of students with physical, mental, and learning disabilities in pursuing their education at UM.

Resources for Students with Children

The Students with Children website is dedicated to the needs of students at UM who juggle parenting/family care, study, and work. Resources include child care, financial assistance, social support, housing, and health care information.

The UM Childcare Gateway provides links to child care resources at the University of Michigan.

International Students

The International Center handles international student visas, health insurance for international students, and provides workshops and events for international students and their families.

The English Language Institute (ELI) offers testing, consultation, and courses on academic English for students who are not native speakers of English.

Work-Related Resources

Working on Campus

Work-Study and Student Temporary Positions

The Student Employment Office handles on campus Work-Study and non-Work Study jobs for students.  There are all kinds of jobs on campus—from simple clerical work to being a research assistant for a professor to tutoring another student.  You can search for available positions and apply for them online from their website.

Graduate Student Assistantships

U-M has three types of graduate student assistantships: Graduate Student Instructors (GSI, teaching assistants), Graduate Student Staff Assistants (GSSA, administrative assistance), and Graduate Student Research Assistants (GSRA, research assistance).  GSIs are hired by teaching units; interested students apply directly to each teaching unit.  CJS is not a teaching unit and does not have any GSI position.  All open GSI and GSSA positions are posted on the UM Jobs website (use the link on the left menu for Graduate Student Appointments).  GSRAs are hired by individual research projects and their faculty directors (principal investigators); interested students apply directly to the project.

Career Planning and Placement

For more specific information on resources to look for jobs related to Japan and Japanese Studies, see the Japan-Related Jobs section of the CJS website.

The Career Center provides services for graduate students seeking positions inside or outside of the academy, including workshops, programs, counseling, a reference letter center, postings of job opportunities and upcoming campus visits by companies in various fields.