May 17-18, 2019 | 1010 Weiser Hall
We invite graduate students in Korean Studies across all disciplines to participate in the 7th International Conference of NextGen Korean Studies Scholars (NEKST) at the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. The NEKST conference provides graduate students in Korean studies an opportunity to share their research, receive feedback from faculty members and other graduate students, and contributes towards the building of an interdisciplinary community of future Korean studies scholars.
The two-day conference will feature traditional panel presentations, workshop sessions for dissertation chapters/advanced papers, and a professional development workshop. We will host prominent Korean studies faculty members from across disciplines to serve as discussants and mentors.
Travel grants are available for participating graduate students. Lodging and meals will be provided during the conference.
The 7th NEKST conference is sponsored by the Nam Center for Korean Studies at the University of Michigan with support from the Academy of Korean Studies. The conference organizing committee is composed of graduate students at the University of Michigan.
NEKST Organizing Committee
- Wooseok Kim (Committee Chair; Political Science, Statistics)
- Yeon-ju Bae (Anthropology)
- Haely Chang (History of Art)
- Youngkyun Choi (Romance Languages and Literature)
- Charlene Hsiao (Business Administration, Health Informatics)
- Minh Quang Huynh (Educational Studies)
- Hayeon Lee (Anthropology, Social Work)
- Hiroaki Matsusaka (History)
- Adelina Pinzaru (Asian Languages and Cultures)
- Moira Saltzman (Linguistics)
- Seulgi Son (Urban Planning)
- Jihun Suk (Asian Languages and Cultures)
- Gerald Sutton (Asian Languages and Cultures)
- Narith Ta (Asian Languages and Cultures)
- Jung Yoon Wie (Music Composition)
- Sunhay You (English and Women’s Studies)
- Nojin Kwak (Nam Center, Communication Studies)
- Joo Young Lee (National Center for Institutional Diversity)
- Hye Won Kim (Nam Center)
- Rory Walsh (Nam Center)
- Evan Vowell (Nam Center)
For further information, please contact NEKSTconference@umich.edu and check for updates on this page.
Previous NEKST Conferences
Information about previous NEKST conferences can be found below: