Fellowships, Grants, and Internships
All travel must follow current guidelines, which are detailed in the International Institute Travel Policy.
The Program in International and Comparative Studies (PICS) extends financial support to University of Michigan students engaging in projects related to: human rights, international development, international security and cooperation, global health and environment, and comparative culture and identity. Specifically, the Program administers grants for study abroad, research, and internships to International Studies majors and minors in the form of Summer Research and Internship Grants and the Study Abroad Grants. In addition, the Rose Silverman Internship Fund supports international internships, the William Siegel and Margaret Swaine funds support Longwoods fellows for student internship and research abroad.
PICS also administers the Arctic Internship Fellowship, open to all University of Michigan undergraduate students, and the International Human Rights Fellowship, specifically open to all LSA undergraduate students. PICS keeps track of all these various internship, research, and funding opportunities in and related to international issues on the PICS announcement blog. PICS is also a part of the International Institute which provides several additional funding opportunities to undergraduate students.
- Only International Studies majors and minors are eligible to apply to PICS Study Abroad and PICS Summer Research and Internship Grants.
- The Arctic Internship Fellowship is open to undergraduates in any discipline.
- The International Human Rights Fellowship is open to LSA undergraduates in any discipline.
- Graduating students and alumni are not eligible. You must be a continuing student with at least one remaining term of enrollment beyond the term in which your program abroad occurs.
Calls for Applications for Summer Funding
New calls are announced via email each year and will also be posted on this website. Please reach out to email@example.com if you would like to inquire about additional information on PICS fellowships.
Applications for PICS Study Abroad Funding are open during designated times throughout the year for fall, winter, and summer U-M sponsored and organized study abroad programs. Please visit the MCompass application for more information.
Funding cycle for the following grants will open in MCompass:
- Applications for the International Human Rights Fellowship are due on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
- Applications for the Arctic Internship Fellowship are due on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
- Applications for PICS Summer Research and Internship Grants are due on Tuesday, March 15, 2022.