- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Indigenous Language Programs
- Study Abroad
- Alfredo Gutiérrez Dissertation Award for Graduate Students
- Brazil Initiative Scholarship for Portuguese Language Studies
- FLAS Fellowships for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- LACS Tinker Field Research Grants for Graduate Students
Students enrolled in 101, 231 or 280 in the fall term must apply by Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Students enrolled in 280 in the winter term must apply by Wednesday, January 27, 2021.
Open to all U-M undergraduate students studying the Portuguese language at the University of Michigan during Fall 2020 and Winter 2021.
- $1000 scholarships are available on a competitive basis for students who enroll in, complete and pass the full sequence of Port 101 in Fall 2020 and Port 102 in Winter 2021.
- $1000 scholarships are available on a competitive basis for students who enroll in, complete and pass the full sequence of Port 231 in Fall 2020 and Port 232 in Winter 2021.
- $500 scholarships are available for students who enroll in, complete and pass Port 280 in either Fall 2020 or Winter 2021.
- Students may apply for and receive this scholarship more than once.
- Students receiving FLAS support for academic year 2020/2021 are not eligible.
The Brazil Initiative is seeking to augment undergraduate students’ opportunities to study and eventually travel to Brazil via early exposure to Portuguese language training. Hence scholarship winners are selected on the basis of how well the study of Brazil fits into their overall academic and career goals.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Brazil Initiative Scholarship for Portuguese Language Study.
- Priority will be given to students in their first and second years at the university.
- Priority will be given to applicants for 280 and the 101/102 sequence.
- For applicants to the 231/232 sequence, priority will be given to those who submitted an application for a FLAS undergraduate fellowship but did not receive one.
For $1000 scholarships, students must complete and pass both courses in their sequence of Port 101/102 or Port 213/232. No partial scholarships will be awarded.
For $500 scholarships, students must complete and pass Port 280.
Scholarships will be disbursed to students upon successful completion of the final term in their sequence, after grades have been submitted and evaluated.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the online application form;
- Upload a 1-2 page statement that clearly explains why you want to study Portuguese and how this fits into your longer-term goals;
- For continuing U-M students, additionally submit a U-M transcript (unofficial copies are fine).
Students enrolled in 101, 231 or 280 in the Fall term must apply by Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Students enrolled in 280 in the Winter term must apply by Wednesday, January 27, 2021.
Students will be notified 1-2 weeks after the application deadline.
Students with questions about their eligibility for the scholarship are encouraged to contact the Brazil Initiative at firstname.lastname@example.org.