Deadline: MAY 1 for projects completed in the current academic year.
In 2014, the African Studies Center established the Lester P. Monts Award for Outstanding Graduate Student Research on Africa in honor of the distinguished Professor of Ethnomusicology and former Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Lester P. Monts for all he has done to promote scholarship on Africa and institutional engagement with African universities. Our university's support for African initiatives is truly exemplary and due in large respect to his efforts. This yearly prize awards the student $1,000.
Rules and guidelines:
- We accept only self-nominations for this award.
- Students may submit either a completed paper, film or other polished presentation of original research.
- Format is up to the student, however the committee will not accept complete dissertations.
- The competition is open to graduate students at any level and in any program, but preference will be given to students who will still be enrolled at the university in the coming fall semester.
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload a .PDF of your project or proposal thru the online application form.
- Request from your advisor to submit a letter of support to the ASC email (email@example.com). The letter should address the quality of your paper/project and why it should be considered for the award.
For questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org