We wish to thank Ambassador Ronald Weiser and Eileen Lappin Weiser for their generous donation, their engagement, and their commitment to WCED/WCEE and the University of Michigan
Pussy Riot/Zona Prava
Click for video of Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina's appearance at the Michigan Theater. Photo by Peter Smith
Weiser Center Events
Click the image or the Events link above to see upcoming WCED events. Photo by Isabel Gao
WCED videos on YouTube
Visit our Multimedia page for video of select programs. Photos by Peter Smith
The Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies promotes scholarship to better understand the conditions and policies fostering transformations from authoritarian rule to democracy. It also educates new generations of practitioners who can apply their learning and experience to help extend democratic freedoms. Initially focusing on transitions in Europe and Eurasia, it will subsequently expand its scope to other emerging democracies across the globe.
Inaugurated in 2008, WCED works alongside the Center for European Studies; Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies; and Islamic Studies Program and in association with the Ronald and Eileen Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia.
- Weisers among 50 most generous philanthropists in 2014 February 8, 2015
- University of Michigan Receives $50 Million Gift December 22, 2014
- Weisers' $50 million gift impacts six University of Michigan units December 18, 2014
- UMMA Exhibit. Hana Hamplová: Meditations on Paper.
02/21/2015 - 08/29/2015;
- 5:00 PM
- Conference. “Federalism in Good Times and Bad: An International Conference on Decentralization and the Welfare State.”
03/20/2015 - 03/21/2015;
- 5:00 PM
- WCED Lecture. “Trading Hard Hats for Combat Helmets: The Economics of Rebellion in East Ukraine.”
Speaker: Yuri Zhukov, assistant professor of political science, U-M
- 5:30 PM