Skip to Content

Graduate Students

CREES is proud to offer several graduate degree options in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies including the M.A.; the certificate of graduate studies; and dual degrees with business, law, and public policy. CREES also invites graduate and professional students in other University of Michigan departments to apply to become CREES Graduate Student Associates.

REES graduate degrees are interdisciplinary and allow flexibility to students choosing to focus their studies on humanities, social sciences, and professional coursework related to Russia, Eastern Europe, and/or Eurasia. REES degrees are intended to train future academic and professional experts on the region; a key component of this is competency in at least one regional language. Over 70% of CREES graduates have found employment in a related field or pursued further graduate studies. For more information, visit our Alumni pages.

Please follow the navigation links for more information about specific REES graduate programs. Prospective and current students can also contact our advisor at

How can your Michigan REES M.A. degree be useful?

Here's Mike MacQueen's answer: "The broad exposure to East European culture, politics, economics and history in my REES M.A. program provided a solid foundation for my past work focusing on the investigation of WW II crimes in Poland, Belarus and the Baltic States. I am still drawing on this now as I investigate crimes committed during the wars in the former Yugoslavia. Moreover, over the course of my career, I have relied on connections and contacts made during my REES studies. When making a recent hiring decision, I’ve also have had the satisfaction of knowing that the candidate with a Michigan REES background was someone with a solid and sound background."

Mike MacQueen (M.A. REES '83) used his language and area studies training during his 20+ years at the Department of Justice, most recently serving as chief of investigative research in the Office of Special of Special Investigations. In 2008, he moved to Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the Department of Homeland Security, where he continues to work on Balkan cases.