GISC Faculty Grants
The Global Islamic Studies Center (GISC) welcomes proposals from affiliated faculty for research, conferences, and event co-sponsorships:
- Research and Conference Travel Grants: Funds may be used to pursue individual research projects domestically and internationally, to attend and/or present research for a conference or workshop that explores topics in Islam and Muslim communities.
- Event Co-Sponsorship Awards: Funds may be used to support any event that promotes the understanding of global Islamic culture and Muslim societies worldwide, with preference for events that include an interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, or multi-confessional dimension.
Awards of up to $1,500 are granted, depending on the number and character of successful proposals. GISC reviews funding requests on a rolling basis. GISC reviews funding requests on a rolling basis. Please submit all materials to IslamicStudies@umich.edu.
Research and Conference Travel Grants applications should include:
- GISC Funding Request Form
- An explanatory statement no longer than 1,000 words;
- A current CV for each principal organizer/participant; and
- A budget detailing anticipated costs and all sources of support (pending and confirmed).
Event Cosponsorship applications should include:
- GISC Event Funding Application Form
- An explanatory statement no longer than 1,000 words
- A budget detailing anticipated costs and all sources of support (pending and confirmed
We expect applicants will also explore other sources of support, where appropriate. Successful applicants will be asked to submit a project description for the GISC website.
Successful proposals have demonstrated long-term scholarly impact, shown educational value for graduate or undergraduate support, contributed to the broader mission of GISC, and leveraged other sources of support. Funds may be requested for pilot projects or to supplement existing projects.
Awards are typically announced 1-2 weeks after application submission, by email, on a rolling basis. All application materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018-19 Faculty Research and Conference Travel Grants
2014-15 Faculty Research and Conference Travel Grants
2014-15 Faculty Event Co-Sponsorship Awards
2013-14 Faculty Research and Conference Travel Grants
2013-14 Faculty Event Co-Sponsorship Awards
University of Michigan Travel Policy
Faculty who lead students on trips abroad or who are engaged in research or other work connected with academic, professional, or University-related business should review U-M's Travel Policy. For information about the U-M international travel policy and other international education resources, see Global Michigan.