Presenters and discussants from the 2015 Inaugural CMENAS Graduate Student Symposium on April 9
Mosaic Tile Shah Mosque
The Shah mosque in Isfahan, Iran stands at the south side of the Naghsh-i Jahan Square. It was built during the Safavid period and is an excellent example of Persian Islamic architecture.
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates. It is the largest mosque in the UAE and can accommodate over 40,000 worshipers.
Saudi Oil Field
Shaybah oil field in Saudi Arabia was discovered and developed in 1998 by Saudi Aramco.
Egyptian Youth Olympics
Egyptian Youth Rythmic Gymnastics Team, Summer 2010
Syrian children display Syrian independence flags at the top of a school play structure.
Easter in Lebanon
Easter in Lebanon is celebrated by several of the local christian communities, including Maronite Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Melkite Catholic, Armenial Orthodox, and many more.
Doha, the capital city of the state of Qatar, was the site of the 2006 Asian Games, the 2011 Pan Arab Games, and plans to host many more significant events in the future - thus the need for a Starbucks.
The Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies (CMENAS)
The Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies enhances awareness of the peoples, cultures, and languages in the Middle East and North Africa. This vitally important region of the world constitutes a highly diverse cultural area now undergoing rapid and large-scale change.
- DIA Reboots Display of Art from Ancient Middle East October 2, 2015
- New Research Reveals Why Pig-Use in Middle East Declined March 16, 2015
- Not guilty, but responsible: A Turkish scholar researches the Armenian genocide March 2, 2015
- The “Calculated Frightfulness” of ISIS: Threats to Middle Eastern Cultural Heritage in Historical Perspective
Speaker: Geoffrey Emberling: Assistant Research Scientist, Kelsey Museum of Archaeology, University of Michigan
- ASP Lecture: Shared Activities and Communal Bodies: Sports in late Ottoman Istanbul
Speaker: Murat Yildiz, 2015-16 Manoogian Post-doctoral Fellow
- CMENAS Lecture: 'Iffat Al Thunayan: An Arabian Queen
Speaker: Joseph A. Kéchichian, Senior fellow at the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 5:30 PM