National Institute of Biology Marine Biology Station
Location: Piran, Slovenia
Organization Description: Marine Biology Station Piran operates within the framework of National Institute of Biology (NIB) and is the only Slovenian institution that studies the sea and monitors its quality. The researchers of MBP Piran are focused on the research in the areas of physical, chemical and biological oceanography. website
Company Name: National Institute of Biology Marine Biology Station
Position Title: Lab Assistant
Location: Piran, Slovenia
Position Description: Interns will be involved in the following:
- Sampling at the field using Niskin bottles, planktonic nets, and corers
- Laboratory work in biology and chemistry labs
- Basic manipulations in molecular biology (DNA extraction, PCR, agarose electrophoresis, qualitative analysis of sequences and basic phylogenetic analysis of selected marine species)
- Review of phytoplankton photomicrographs with identification of groups/species and their arrangement in hierarchical maps
- Analyses of phytoplankton biomass by fluorimetric determination of Chlorophyll a concentration
- Using of Cymodocea nodosa in evaluation of ecological status using MediSkew index
- Preparation and analyses of samples of sediments and marine organisms (organic matter, lipids, proteins…)
- Preparation of samples from saltpans for the analyses (sediments, biota)
- Preparation of samples and analyses of hydrocarbons in sediments and biota
- Treatment of sediment samples for the determination of microplastics
Interns should have excellent communication and writing skills, a strong interest in marine science, and the ability to work as part of a small team. Interns must be available for 8 weeks, with preferred dates in May and June.
Language Requirements: English only
Unpaid, however this internship would meet the eligibility requirements for the Samo Alajbegovic Fellowship.
The National Institute of Biology Marine Biology Station has dormitories on site for students to rent for the duration of the internship.
If offered the position, interns and their supervisor will decide on specific dates of the internship between May and August.
Number of Positions: 2 per Summer
U-M Students Have Said
“This internship has been a great reinforcement for my plans to work in the field of biology. While working here, I have found that I enjoy both fieldwork and lab work. Thanks to this, my options are a lot more open when it comes to selecting a job related to biology.” - Hal Terry, 2017