- New Europe Grants
- Albania Fellowship
- WCEE Internship Initiative
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) seeks applications from U-M undergraduate students for Kabcenell New Europe Grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to support in-person summer research or internships in the New Europe—countries that became European Union members in 2004 or later, or are current candidate countries.
By facilitating research opportunities in the New Europe, we hope to encourage students to delve into the culture, politics, history, and languages of these countries, while focusing on critical issues such as democratization, European integration, and law. We hope such research and internships will lead students on interesting career paths and establish life-long interest and connectivity to the New Europe.
Deadline: February 15 at 11:59 pm
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Eligible students must return to campus for at least one term prior to graduation. Applications for research grants must be for projects that are at least one month in length. Applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region, and the internship must constitute at least a 30-hour-per-week time commitment for a minimum of six weeks. All travel must follow current guidelines, which are detailed in the International Institute Travel Policy.
- Application Form (visit the II Student Fellowships page for the link)
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- Project expense information
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- University of Michigan transcript
- Letter of invitation or description of in-country resources (Undergraduate applicants for internships do not need to have a letter of invitation to apply for funding, but rather may upload a list of the internships to which you are applying.)
Reporting: A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Kabcenell New Europe Grant Recipients
Vibhawari Deshpande, BS Movement Science (Cyprus)
Patricia Angus, BA International Studies/Political Science (Kosovo)
Sebastian Kasparian, BS Environment (Croatia)
Alyssa Walters, BA History/International Studies (Croatia)
Hana Berishaj, BA Political Science (Albania)
Konrat Pekkip, BA LSA (Croatia)
Lorena Balic, BS Health & Fitness (Croatia)
Maura Drabik, BS Informatics (Slovakia)
Ergest Isak, BA LSA (Albania)
Kristina Ljucovic, BS Neuroscience (Albania)
Alexandra Newton, BA Economics/International Studies (Romania)
Benjamin Newman, BA History/German Studies (Germany & Bulgaria)
Elliot Slowiczek, BA International Studies (Poland)
Alexandra Talovich, BA International Studies/Spanish (Poland)