Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, we will consider funding applications for summer 2022 for a variety of research or internship projects, including virtual opportunities.
All travel must follow current guidelines, which are detailed in the International Institute Travel Policy.
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) seeks applications from U-M undergraduate students for Albanian Community Summer Fellowships for up to $1000 to support in-person or virtual summer study, research, or internships in Albania and in neighboring countries preparing to join the European Union.
By facilitating these opportunities, we hope to encourage students to delve into the culture, politics, history, and languages of Albania and its neighbors, while focusing on critical issues such as democratization after European integration. We hope such study, research, and internships will lead them on interesting career paths and establish life-long interest and connectivity to the New Europe.
Deadline: February 15 at 11:59 pm
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Eligible students must return to campus for at least one term prior to graduation. Applications for research grants must be for projects that are at least one month in length. Applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region, and the internship must constitute at least a 30-hour-per-week (in-person) or 10- to 15-hour-per-week (virtual).
- WCEE Summer Funding Application form
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- Project expense information
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
- Letter of invitation or description of in-country resources (Undergraduate applicants for internships do not need to have a letter of invitation to apply for funding, but rather may upload a list of the internships to which you are applying.)
Reporting: A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Albanian Community Summer Fellowship Recipients
Madalasa Chaudhari, BA International Studies
Ina Gjoka, BS Biochemistry (Babo Albanian Fellowship)
Albi Popaj, BBA Business Administration
Aleksandra Luca, BA Political Science
Nora Kuo, BS Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Claire Johnson, BS Biopsychology, Cognition, & Neuroscience