The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) seeks applications from U-M undergraduate students for Albanian Community Summer Fellowships for up to $1000 to support summer study, research, or internships in Albania and in neighboring countries preparing to join the European Union.
By facilitating these opportunities, we hope to encourage students to delve into the culture, politics, history, and languages of Albania and its neighbors, while focusing on critical issues such as democratization after European integration. We hope such study, research, and internships will lead them on interesting career paths and establish life-long interest and connectivity to the New Europe.
Deadline: February 15 at 11:59 pm
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Eligible students must return to campus for at least one term prior to graduation. Applications for research grants must be for projects that are at least one month in length. Applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region, and the internship must constitute at least a 30-hour-per-week time commitment for a minimum of six weeks. Applicants for study must be registered for an approved study abroad program during the spring and/or summer terms. An approved program is defined as one organized by U-M's Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS). Funds may be used for travel, living expenses, or to offset the cost of tuition. Financial assistance provided to a limited number of students.
Note: The application for Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia is submitted using the online application used for several International Institute student fellowships. Please see the II Individual Fellowships page for more detailed information on application components.
- Application form
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- Project expense information
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
- Letter of invitation or description of in country resources (You do not have to have an internship Letter of Invitation to apply for Weiser Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe and Eurasia, but rather may upload a list of the internships to which you are applying in place of the Letter of Invitation.)
Reporting: A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Albanian Community Summer Fellowship Recipients
Madalasa Chaudhari, BA International Studies
Ina Gjoka, BS Biochemistry (Babo Albanian Fellowship)
Albi Popaj, BBA Business Administration
Aleksandra Luca, BA Political Science
Nora Kuo, BS Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Claire Johnson, BS Biopsychology, Cognition, & Neuroscience