The Center for Global and Intercultural Studies (CGIS) is the the University of Michigan study aboard office that provides undergraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds a wide variety of global engagement and learning opportunities around the world. CGIS programming features semester-long study abroad options, 3–10 week programs during spring and summer, and academic- and calendar-year programs.
All students are encouraged to register their travel with the U-M Student Travel Registry. The registry is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communications and access to University approved travel abroad health insurance. The travel registry is the University’s official means for sharing urgent health, safety, and security related information.
U-M Library Study Abroad Resources and Databases
The University of Michigan Library provides many resources for student who are planning to pursue a study, research, or internship experience aboard. Please review the following linked resources for more information:
- Study Abroad Top 10 Countries Library Guide
- Global Information Resources Library Guide
- GoinGlobal Country Career and Employment Resources
Students can also review global news sources to help them become aware of current events and points of view in the countries they are visiting:
- Access World News (NewsBank) Full text of over 260 English language newspapers from other countries worldwide, plus indices of translated international news publications and broadcasts. UM users only.
- Library PressDisplay Access to issues from the last 60 days of over 300 newspapers from around the world. The newspapers include the same content and are in the same format as the print edition of the newspaper.
There are also resources available for students working on research or engaged learning opportunities in developing countries and/or on global health initiatives: