Dear PICS Students,
A warm welcome back!
As we head into the new academic semester, one with some continuing extraordinary challenges to be sure, we’re nonetheless more excited than ever to welcome you back to campus (YAY!) to share the extraordinary experience of this University of Michigan education with you. Your extraordinary PICS instructors and staff have gone even beyond their ordinary summer heroics to prepare an outstanding semester and academic year, and know that they are and I am here to support you however we can: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the Class of 2022 students:
- This is the time to make sure you are on track to graduate and to get your senior release from us. Please take a look at our "How to Graduate" page on our website and follow the steps.
- If you have any questions regarding your progress towards a degree, please contact our advisors by emailing email@example.com.
- The PICS Graduation Ceremony is planned for Thursday, April 28th, 2022. More information will be available before the end of Fall semester.
We are happy to announce - the Donia Human Rights Fellows Program! The initiative recognizes U-M undergraduates majoring in International Studies through the Program in International and Comparative Studies (PICS) who have demonstrated their interest in and commitment to the study and practice of human rights during their time at the University of Michigan. The new program represents an opportunity for the University of Michigan to recognize student achievement in this area and provide students with a credential useful to pursue a career in human rights. The program is open to juniors and seniors majoring in International Studies who have enrolled in the International Security, Norms and Cooperation sub-plan with the first group of eligible students in the Class of 2022. Details regarding the program are available on the DHRC website.
- Sept 9: 2021 PICS Welcome Back Students Event. 4-5:30pm, Weiser Hall Lawn. In-person
- Sept 14: Donia Human Rights Center Panel: "Twenty Years after 9/11: Challenges to Human Rights Protection from Terrorism and Counter-terrorism." 4:30-6 pm (EDT) Virtual/Hybrid
- Sept 21: PICS Virtual Career Event with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). 12-1pm (EDT) Virtual
- Sept 22: PICS Career Event with U.S. State Department Diplomat in Residence, Shannon Farrell. 6-7:30pm (EDT) Virtual
- Oct 20: PICS Carrer Event with Hardy Vieux, Chief of Staff, Kids In Need of Defense. 4-5pm (EDT) Virtual
- Oct 25: PICS Career Event. Humanitarian and International Development Careers with Mercy Corps. 12-1 pm (EDT) Virtual
- Save the date. Mar 14, 2022: International Studies Alumni Career Panel. 5-6:30pm (EDT)
Funding for study, research, and internships abroad - Please check the various application deadlines:
- PICS administers grants for study abroad, research, and internships to IS majors and minors in the forms of Summer Research and Internship Grants and Study Abroad Grants.
- We also invite you to check out funding opportunities at the International Institute at and its various centers, as well as LSA Opportunity Hub.
- PICS keeps track of various internship, research, and funding opportunities in and related to international issues on our PICS Information Blog. Check the blog often!
- For juniors and seniors in the Honors Program or pursuing honors thesis projects, check out the Samo Alajbegović Fellowship. This fellowship supports University of Michigan undergraduates in the LSA Honors Program pursuing research and internship opportunities in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- PICS also keeps track of various opportunities for graduating seniors. If you are a graduating senior and participated in international opportunities and other activities during your time at the University of Michigan, depending on your future graduate school and/or career plans, you might be a great prospective candidate for the Truman Scholarship or post-graduate opportunities such as Rhodes, Marshall, Gates Cambridge or others in the ONSF portfolio. Please contact the ONSF office for advising hours.
We want to remind you to check our PICS website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Weekly toPICS news emails for announcements and upcoming events. To connect with our PICS Alumni and other PICS students please go to our LinkedIn page and join the group.
PICS Director’s “Office Hours” for Fall 2021:
In addition to traditional in-person “office hours” Mon/Wed 12-1:30pm in 333 Weiser Hall, feel free, encouraged even, to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and/or to request a ‘virtual’ appointment.
Hope your semester is off to a terrific start!
Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr.
Director, Program in International & Comparative Studies
Professor & Associate Chair, Department of Political Science
Edie N. Goldenberg Director, Michigan in Washington Program