The Nam Center for Korean Studies is accepting applications for 2023-2024 Nam Center Graduate Student Fellows Program.
All U-M graduate students on active status in any department or school are eligible for the program. Students with a strong research interest in Korea are particularly encouraged to apply. Fellows from previous years can reapply but must submit a new application each year to be considered.
The cohort of Graduate Fellows will meet regularly throughout the fall and winter terms to build a community of student scholars, and have the opportunity to meet with guest speakers and visiting scholars. Fellows will also serve on the organizing committee for the center's annual Korean studies graduate student conference, NEKST, to be held in mid-May of 2024.
Fellows will receive a competitive advantage in funding opportunities and scholarships made available by the center. In addition, each Fellow will be allocated up to $500 in conference travel for the academic year (provided travel is allowable by the university within the academic year). This year, the Nam Center is also offering a new copy editing grant for those Fellows preparing an article for publication. Up to four grants will be available on a competitive basis.
As a Fellow, you will be expected to do the following:
- Attend regularly scheduled Graduate Student Fellows meetings
- Serve on the organizing committee of NEKST
- Attend center events, including Korean Studies Colloquium on select Tuesdays at 4 PM
- Be an active member of the Korean Studies community on campus
Applications Due: Tuesday, September 12th, 2023
Application Form: Online Form
Applicants will be asked to provide the following on the form:
- Basic information about their academic program
- A statement (no longer than 250 words) describing their interest in Korean Studies
Inquiries regarding this program can be directed to email@example.com.