Applications have now closed for Summer 2019. Check back here in Fall 2019 for the 2020 Internship opportunities!
Location: Hong Kong
Founded in 2014, Garage Society is a contemporary co-work operator headquartered in Hong Kong. Our name pays homage to the game-changing companies that were born from a garage, such as Google, Apple and Amazon. Since 2014, we’ve grown and evolved alongside our members to become a leading co-working operator in Asia. Much of our growth has been guided by our bespoke, member-centric business model, as we’re constantly looking for ways to take our value-adding services to the next level.
Language Requirements: English required; Cantonese and/or Mandarin would be great but not required.
Compensation: $8/hour with 40 hour work week.
Housing: Not provided, but can advise on places to find housing.
Job Categories: Communication & Marketing, Research, Finance & Accounting.
Garage Society Cadet Programme
The Cadet Programme is an extension of our mission to support and develop the start-up ecosystem in Hong Kong. We recruit and place interns in our member companies and startups in our network. Interns with us will work with several different start-ups throughout the summer in Hong Kong. Interns will also be able to attend the RISE Conference in Hong Kong in July for opportunities to learn and network with the most brilliant minds in international tech.
- Hungry to learn about the world; ability to adapt to change and uncertainty
- Able to proactively identify opportunities
- Enjoys finding, collecting, and synthesizing information for practical conclusions
- Time management skills, including the ability to keep to tight deadlines
- Social media savvy
- Interests in marketing, research, venture capital and accounting
- Pleasant working attitude, outgoing, self-motivated and well-organized
Number of Positions Available: 2-3
Pie Squared is a Detroit style pizza restaurant located in Beijing, China. We just won the Best Pizza in Beijing 2017 Award from the Beijinger Magazine, after a city-wide competition. We set up our first branch in this particular area of Beijing because of its proximity to many of the international schools and the corresponding demographics of people living in the area. Our customer base is approximately 70 percent foreign expats and 30 percent local Chinese. This mix of foreign and Chinese customers makes customer communication/relations the most important part of our operations.
Language Requirements: 2nd year or higher Mandarin language ability, and English.
Compensation: Unpaid, but free food from the restaurant while working.
Housing: Provided - one room in a fully furnished two bedroom apartment.
Job Categories: Administration & Management, Client Interface, Communication & Marketing.
Business Management Intern
This internship will focus on learning how to manage a popular and expanding business. Pie Squared is the hottest pizza restaurant in Beijing right now and is actively expanding. The Business Management Intern will be trained in the processes of running the business: including management, accounting, ordering, and customer interface, and will gain valuable first hand management experience by running the restaurant while the owner is developing new locations elsewhere in the city. The Pie Squared Business Management Intern will have the opportunity to meet the entrepreneurs and leaders in Beijing's food and beverage industry and sample some of Beijing's most popular restaurants.
Intern must speak English. Mandarin at a basic level or higher is helpful, but not required. Intern must be outgoing and possesses outstanding communication skills--ideally in both English and Mandarin.
Number of Positions Available: 1
Michigan-China Innovation Center
Company Description: The Michigan-China Innovation Center (MCIC) is a non-profit organization building business ties and enhancing cooperation between Michigan and China. Founded in 2016 with a grant from the State of Michigan, our work, carried out both in Michigan and in China, includes:
- Attracting Chinese investment to Michigan
- Marketing Michigan in China
- Building relationships with individuals, businesses, business groups, and governmental units in China
- Organizing a wide variety of collaborations between Michigan and Chinese partners.
MCIC’s vision is to be the top state-level China-focused organization in the US. MCIC’s mission is to create jobs, attract investment, and increase competitiveness in Michigan by developing win-win ventures with China.
Language Requirements: We’d like our interns to be comfortable doing basic web-based research in Chinese. We anticipate that this will require a third-year proficiency or higher.
Additional Information: We’re flexible with our start date and hope you’ll stay with us for 8 weeks or more.
Job Functions: Business Development & Consulting, Public & Social Service, Research.
Business Development Intern
Governor Snyder has traveled to China every year he has been in office, and we want you to play a key role in preparing for his eighth and final trade and investment mission.
- You will conduct in-depth guided research on businesses, political leaders, and policies (in English and Chinese).
- You will use this research to write polished briefings (in English).
- You will monitor the U.S.-China relationship and distribute news summaries each morning.
We will also work together to design and execute a project that is aligned with your own interests and strengths. We want you to be an active co-creator of this internship and let your talents shine. Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing policy memos
- Developing WeChat marketing campaigns
- Planning a community outreach event in Detroit
- Completing a significant translation project
- You love Michigan. You want to boost its global competitiveness, create new jobs from Detroit to Traverse City, and tell a billion people about Great Lakes beaches in the summer sun.
- You want to make a positive impact on the future of U.S.-China relations and get to know the inner workings of the world’s most important bilateral relationship at the state level.
- You are a strong researcher and a strong writer.
- You are looking for an experience that will stretch you and help you grow professionally. We want to devise interesting experiences that challenge you and check-in on your goals over weekly coffees, chai lattes, and oolong teas.
Number of Positions Available: 2