Description: The International Institute contributes to the support of conferences and workshops that make substantial contributions to international learning on the University of Michigan campus and in the Ann Arbor community. Grants of up to $2,000 are available to graduate and professional school students and faculty for the purpose of planning and conducting research-related conferences, symposia, and workshops in area and international studies. Hybrid and virtual conferences organized by U-M faculty and students will be considered while Covid-19 continues to impact travel and in-person activities.
- Applications can be filed only by U-M faculty or graduate students. If an organizer is not a faculty member or graduate student, members of their team who are eligible may submit the application.
- Events must meet on campus and cost sharing is required. Preference will be given to events that demonstrate a strong interdisciplinary focus. Grants may not be used to support established seminars or lecture series.
- Events must be geared towards international and area studies. Research containing components outside the United States do not necessarily qualify as international and area studies.
Application Deadline & Submission: Rolling
Applications must include:
- The online application
- A budget, including other sources of funding sought and/or confirmed
- A proposal including details regarding the planned event. Note: This proposal must include information about the format of the event (in-person, hybrid, or virtual), as well as plans for following U-M campus Covid-19 safety protocols.