The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship provides tuition and stipend to students studying designated foreign languages in combination with area studies or international aspects of professional studies. The priority is to encourage the study of less commonly taught modern languages. The U.S. Department of Education (US/ED) funds these awards under the provisions of Title VI of the Higher Education Act. The amount of funding and number of awards are contingent upon annual US/ED program approval, federal regulations, as well as continued congressional funding, all of which may change from year to year.
Application Opens: November 1, 2022
Deadline: February 1, 2023
Current FLAS fellows and prospective applicants may attend an info session, sign up for advising appointments, or join the drop-in sessions. We strongly recommend all applicants attend an Info Session before meeting with a FLAS Coordinator for advising.
Virtual Info Sessions:
- Thursday, December 1st, 4:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/97441001191)
- Tuesday, December 6th, 12:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/92645905097)
- Wednesday, December 14th, 3:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/97271065650)
- Thursday, January 5th, 5:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/99664951337)
- Tuesday, January 10th, 5:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/97071106130)
- Wednesday, January 18th, 12:00 PM (https://umich.zoom.us/j/93041252901)
By Appointment: Advising appointments are available through the online advising portal. Appointments are held over phone or video chat.
Drop-in Session: Every Thursday from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Click Here to Join Drop-In Advising.
Interested applicants should visit the U-M FLAS Applicant Resources Page prior to scheduling an appointment or attending Drop-In Advising.
- FLAS Application
- Academic Recommendation Letters (Two for graduate students, one for undergraduate students)
- Language Instructor Recommendation
- FLAS Statement of Purpose
- Resume or curriculum vitae
All items must be uploaded to the FLAS Application portal.
U-M FLAS Applicant Resource Page
Please see the FLAS Applicant Resource Page for more information on the fellowship and application.
Eligible Languages: Arabic, Armenian, Bengali, Bosnian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Nahuatl, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Quechua, Russian, Serbian, Swahili, Tamil, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uyghur, Uzbek, Yiddish, Yoruba.
The languages listed above have been pre-approved as eligible. Restrictions may apply to certain languages. Other languages may be approved on a case-by-case basis. For more details, please see the U-M FLAS Applicant Resources Page; go to the Languages & Levels section under each fellowship type.