The Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (CREES) seeks applications from students in REES and REES-focused undergraduate and graduate degree programs at the University of Michigan for grants of up to $1000 towards summer research projects focused on Ukraine. Ukrainian Research Grants are supported by CREES and offered through the Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia.
Deadline: February 15 at 11:59 pm
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree programs at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Eligible students must return to campus for at least one term prior to graduation. Applicants for research grants may be at preliminary or more advanced stages of their research, and the research project must be at least one month in length. Applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region, and the internship must constitute at least a 30-hour-per-week time commitment for a minimum of six weeks.
Note: The application for Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia is submitted using the online application used for several International Institute student fellowships. Please see the II Individual Fellowships page for more detailed information on application components.
- Application form
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- Project expense information
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
- Letter of invitation or description of in country resources (You do not have to have an internship Letter of Invitation to apply for Weiser Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe and Eurasia, but rather may upload a list of the internships to which you are applying in place of the Letter of Invitation.)
Reporting: A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Ukrainian Research Grant Recipients
Kaley Hanenkrat, MA REES/JD Law (Ukraine)
Grace Mahoney, PhD Slavic
Haley Laurila, PhD Slavic
Anna Whittington, PhD History
Nadiya Kostyuk, PhD Public Policy & Political Science
Deborah Jones, PhD Anthropology