Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, all travel must follow current guidelines, which are detailed in the International Institute Travel Policy.
The Center for Japanese Studies provides a limited number of scholarships for undergraduate students who will participate in a study abroad academic program to Japan. Approximately five to seven scholarships are awarded on a merit-basis in an annual competition each spring.
Important Note: It is the responsibility of the student to find the appropriate study abroad program and to complete the necessary application process to enroll in the program. For assistance in finding the appropriate program, see the Study in Japan and Summer Language Programs sections of the CJS web site, see a study abroad advisor in your school/college (e.g., Center for Global and Intercultural Study, International Programs in Engineering,Ross Global Initiatives), or visit the International Center Education Abroad Office.
Applications for Spring/Summer 2021 programs are due March 1st, 2021. Scholarship availability is subject to change given the COVID-19 pandemic and associated travel restrictions.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate degree students at the University of Michigan.
- Applicants must remain an undergraduate degree student at the University of Michigan during the period of study abroad. Graduating seniors may not apply for a scholarship to participate in a program following graduation.
- Recipients must participate in an eligible program. The following three types of programs are eligible:
- Traditional Study Abroad Program: A study abroad academic program that teaches a combination of language and/or Japanese studies that is sponsored by CGIS or another school or college of the University of Michigan and that results in academic credit.
- GCC or GIEU course: Students who are enrolled in CGIS Global Course Connections (GCC) or Global Intercultural Experience for Undergraduates (GIEU) course are also eligible. It is the responsibility of the student to find the appropriate program and to complete any application for participation in a timely manner.
- Summer Intensive Japanese Language Program: Students who enroll in a summer intensive Japanese language program located in Japan are also eligible. In order to qualify, a summer language program must meet the FLAS Fellowship summer program eligibility criteria. For a list of eligible programs, see the Summer Language Programs section of the CJS web site and look for "Summer FLAS eligible" programs. The FLAS summer program eligibility criteria are:
- The program must teach the equivalent of one academic year of Japanese as taught at the University of Michigan
- The recipient must enroll at the 2nd year level language or above
- The minimum program length is 6 weeks.
- The program must have minimum classroom contact hours (language instruction in the classroom with an instructor, including lectures, sections, drill sessions, and tutorials but NOT cultural time, excursions, meals, office hours, and independent study) of 140 hours for 2nd year and 120 hours for 3rd year and above.
- Independent research, internships, and volunteer activities are not eligible.
- Students who are awarded the Undergraduate Academic Year Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship or Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship may apply for this scholarship if the FLAS award does not cover the full cost of attendance for the study abroad program; however, they may be given lower priority. FLAS Fellowship nominees/recipients must submit a separate application.
- If you have any questions on whether the study abroad program or the summer language program that you have selected meets the eligibility criteria, please contact the CJS Academic Services Coordinator (see the bottom of this page under More Information for contact information).
- Approximately 5-7 awards per year will be made.
- Award amount limits vary depending on the program's length of stay in Japan. The award amount limits are as follows:
- Programs up to 4 weeks: up to $1,000
- Summer language programs: up to $1,500
- One term (fall or winter): up to $2,000
- Full academic year (fall and winter): up to $3,000
- Scholarship may only be used to cover expenses associated with the study abroad program participation, such as tuition, program fee, airfare, room, and board.
- Recipients will be selected on the basis of academic merit by the Center for Japanese Studies Admissions and Fellowships Committee.
- If you receive a need-based financial aid package for the study abroad program, the acceptance of this scholarship may result in an adjustment of your need-based financial aid package. Please consult the Office of Financial Aid if you have any questions.
- International students may be subject to income tax withholding on the scholarship amount. Please consult the International Center if you have any questions.
Please apply online via the form here.
- October 27 for study abroad programs in the Winter term and Spring half term of the same academic year.
- March 15 for study abroad programs in Spring-Summer of the same academic year, and one term (fall or winter) or full academic year programs in the next academic year.
- If the deadline date falls on a weekend, the application is due on the previous Friday.
- All materials shoul be brought or sent to the Center for Japanese Studies, Weiser Hall, 500 Church Street, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1042.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Awards will be announced in mid-November (for October deadline) and late April (for March deadline).