UMAPS accepts direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, and Uganda.
Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African countries cannot apply directly to the UMAPS program without first being nominated and invited to apply by a U-M faculty member with whom they already have a pre-existing relationship.
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence from four to six months
Applicants outside of Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, or Uganda must be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom the interested applicant already has a pre-existing/established relationship.
The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only; access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and provide an office space for the prospective participant
Note: Upon receipt of the U-M faculty’s nomination form, ASC will send the invitation to apply to the potential candidate.
Application Checklist and Timeline
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (This link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, or Uganda)
- Submit a curriculum vitae
- Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages)
Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center's initiatives
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered.