Application period: opens August 15 (8:00 AM EST); ends October 15 (11:59 PM EST)
IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, the UMAPS program accepts direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities from only a limited number of countries, namely Ghana, South Africa, and Kenya. For applicants from Kenya *only*, please note that preference will be given to scholars working in the domains of agriculture, environment, tourism, or technology.
Applicants outside of Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya must be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they already have an established relationship.
Unfortunately, ASC is not able to help prospective applicants connect to U-M faculty, nor do we recommend reaching out to them directly.
The UMAPS program hosts two cohorts per year (August through December, and January through May), with *one* application round for both cohorts. Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their preference for a particular cohort during the application process, but placement in a particular cohort (upon acceptance in the program) is not guaranteed.
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
Be able to remain in residence for five months
Nomination is required for applicants from outside Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya, and needs to be completed by a U-M faculty member familiar with the work of the prospective applicant. The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
As soon as we receive the complete nomination form and letter of support, we will send the nominated candidate an email invitation with a link to the application portal for nominated applicants; please do not use the regular application portal.
Application Checklist and Timeline
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, this link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya)
- Upload a curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center's disciplinary initiatives
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered.