Kabcenell New Europe Grants
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) seeks applications from U-M undergraduate students for Kabcenell New Europe Grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 towards summer experiences for students to study or conduct research in the New Europe—countries that became European Union members in 2004 or later, or are current candidate countries.
By facilitating research opportunities in the New Europe, we hope to encourage students to delve into the culture, politics, history, and languages of these countries, while focusing on critical issues such as democratization, European integration, and law. We hope such study, research, and internships will lead students on interesting career paths and establish life-long interest and connectivity to the New Europe.
Deadline: March 15 at 5:00 PM
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at the University of Michigan. Grants will not be considered for students graduating in the current Winter Term. Applicants for research grants may be at preliminary or more advanced stages of their research; applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region. Funding is available for study abroad programs, so long as the content is relevant.
Application Requirements: Applicants must submit the following application materials:
- WCEE summer funding application (enter the II Fellowships & Grants site, complete basic information, and choose "Apply Now" next to "WCEE Student Fellowship" in the list of awards)
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, location, your reasons for pursuing the internship or research project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Official University of Michigan transcript
A written report based on the project will be required at its conclusion.
Kabcenell New Europe Grant Recipients
Ergest Isak, BA LSA (Albania)
Kristina Ljucovic, BS Neuroscience (Albania)
Alexandra Newton, BA Economics/International Studies (Romania)
Benjamin Newman, BA History/German Studies (Germany & Bulgaria)
Elliot Slowiczek, BA International Studies (Poland)
Alexandra Talovich, BA International Studies/Spanish (Poland)