Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia
WCEE Student Information Session
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) is pleased to announce the availability of grants for summer and semester-long research projects or internships for current undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Funding is intended to be used within Europe/Eurasia. Please contact WCEE for questions regarding projects outside the region.
- CES Summer Research and Internship Grants support summer research or internships for projects about Europe and European integration. Awards up to $1500
- CREES Research, Internship, and Fellowship (CRIF) Program Grants support summer or semester-long research projects or internships at institutions in Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union. Awards up to $1500 or amounts specified below
- Amelia Kulesa Konopka Fellowships support summer or semester-long research projects focused on Poland. Awards up to $5000
- Copernicus Summer Grants support summer or semester-long research projects focused on Poland. Awards up to $5000
- Ukrainian Research Grants are available for summer or semester-long research projects focused on Ukraine. Awards up to $1000
- WCED Summer Fellowships support summer or semester-long research projects or internships in Europe or Eurasia that engage the theme of "emerging democracies past or present." Awards up to $2500
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY
- Albanian Community Summer Fellowships support study, research, or internships in Albania and in neighboring countries preparing to join the European Union. Awards up to $1000
- Kabcenell New Europe Grants provide funding for summer experiences to study or conduct research in countries that became European Union members in 2004 or later, or are current candidate countries. Awards $1000-$5000
Once an application is received and approved, the selection committee will determine which fund is best suited for a particular project.
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree programs at the University of Michigan. Grants will not be considered for students graduating in the current Winter Term. Applicants for research grants may be at preliminary or more advanced stages of their research; applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region.
The following materials are required:
- WCEE summer funding application (enter the II Fellowships & Grants site, complete basic information, and choose "Apply Now" next to "WCEE Student Fellowship" in the list of awards)
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Summer funding applications and supporting materials must be submitted by 5:00 pm on March 15.
For all current funding opportunities for students offered by Weiser Center affiliated units, visit
- Center for European Studies (CES) Student Funding
- Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (CREES) Student Funding
- Islamic Studies Program (ISP) Student Funding
- Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies (WCED) Student Funding
QUESTIONS? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Michigan Travel Policy
Effective 9/1/11, all U-M students traveling abroad for University-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to
- Register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and
- Buy U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad.
For information about immunizations and other travel-related health matters, see Travel Health Services.