Summer Grants for Research and Internships in Europe & Eurasia
The deadline for summer 2015 funding has passed
The Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE) is pleased to announce the availability of grants for summer and semester-long research projects or internships for current undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- CREES Research, Internship, and Fellowship (CRIF) Program Grants support summer or semester-long research projects or internships at institutions in Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union.
- CES Summer Research and Internship Grants support summer research or internships for projects about Europe and European integration. Funds can be used to support the University of Windsor European Union Study Abroad Program.
- WCED Summer Fellowships support summer or semester-long research projects or internships that engage the theme of "emerging democracies past or present."
- Copernicus Summer Grants support summer or semester-long research projects focused on Poland.
- Amelia Kulesa Konopka Fellowships support summer or semester-long research projects focused on Poland.
- Ukrainian Research Grants of up to $1000 are available for summer or semester-long research projects focused on Ukraine.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY
- Kabcenell New Europe Grants provide $1,000 to $5,000 for summer experiences to study or conduct research in countries that became European Union members in 2004 or later, or are current candidate countries.
- Albanian Community Summer Fellowships support study, research, or internships in Albania and in neighboring countries preparing to join the European Union.
Once an application is received and approved, the selection committee will determine which fund is best suited for a particular project.
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree programs at the University of Michigan. Grants will not be considered for students graduating in the current Winter Term. Applicants for research grants may be at preliminary or more advanced stages of their research; applicants for internships should be prepared to identify the venue for their internship in a governmental agency, business, or non-governmental institution in the region.
The following materials are required:
- WCEE summer funding application (2015 application now closed)
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) including proposed time period, institutional affiliation, your reasons for pursuing the project, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Official University of Michigan transcript
A written project report will be required at the conclusion of the grant.
Summer funding applications and supporting materials must be submitted by 5:00 pm on March 15.
In addition to self-initiated research projects or internships, U-M undergraduate students can apply for WCEE summer funding to support the following programs:
- University of Windsor/University of Michigan EU Study Abroad Program in Leuven and Brussels, Belgium (May, 2015). Program application deadline: Jan 19, 2015
- Summer Internships in Europe. Program application deadline: Feb 20, 2015
- Poland 2015 Study Abroad Program. Program application deadline: Mar 31, 2015
For all current funding opportunities for students offered by Weiser Center affiliated units, visit