Graduate Student FLAS Fellowships
Academic Year Graduate & Professional FLAS Fellowships
Academic Year Graduate FLAS Fellowships are awarded to UM graduate and professional students at the master’s and doctoral level to study modern foreign languages and related area studies, international studies, and/or international aspects of professional studies. Academic Year FLAS Fellows receive support for tuition, mandatory fees, and living expenses during the fall and winter terms.
Eligible students in any discipline and department may apply for Academic Year FLAS fellowships. Priority will be given to students who have completed at least one year of formal language training at the University of Michigan with a demonstrated strong commitment to center specific regional studies. Preference will also be given to students who show a commitment to pursuing government service and to those students interested in advanced language study beyond the fellowship period.
- FLAS Fellows must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- FLAS Fellows must be enrolled as full-time students at the University of Michigan during the Fall and Winter semesters.
- FLAS Fellows must enroll in a language course and at least one area course for a letter grade (i.e., not pass/fail) in both the Fall and Winter semesters.
- FLAS Fellowships will be awarded for languages of this region, specifically Hindi, Punjabi, Tibetan, and Urdu.
- FLAS Fellowships are not open to students who are native speakers of the language for which they are applying.
To access the application and information packet please go to the FLAS website and submit all application materials by 5pm on January 20. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all FLAS application materials have arrived at the center. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for awards.
For questions please contact us.