CREES offers several degree program options for undergraduate students, all of which provide great flexibility in choosing an interdisciplinary course of study. Undergraduate courses in anthropology, economics, history, political science, screen arts and cultures, Slavic languages and literatures, and sociology provide many options for focusing on Russia, Eastern Europe, and/or Eurasia as an undergraduate major or minor. In addition, CREES is one of only a few U-M units that offer a Concurrent Undergraduate-Graduate Study Program that allows outstanding students to earn a B.A. or B.S. and REES M.A. in five years.

Education abroad experiences are strongly encouraged, especially those offered by the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) in the Czech Republic, Poland, and Russia. CREES also administers study abroad programs in the region. Some programs require knowledge of the local language, while others offer courses in English. The CREES Advisor, in cooperation with CGIS, will assist students in identifying education abroad opportunities consistent with their needs and interests. Limited funding will be made available to REES majors and minors to encourage and facilitate participation in education abroad programs. Applications for these funds should demonstrate a connection between the overseas program and the student’s area(s) of emphasis. Although strongly encouraged, an education abroad experience is not required for the REES major or academic minors since some students may be unable to meet this requirement because of financial, family, or other considerations.

Please follow the links on the right for more information about REES undergraduate programs.

Advising Appointments

Appointments with the CREES Advisor are held at CREES, 1080 S. University Avenue, Suite 3668. Schedule an advising appointment

Additional Information for Undergraduates

For more information on the REES undergraduate major and minors, please consult LSA Degrees & Requirements

Applications for admission to the University of Michigan are available through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Interested in career options for REES graduates? Check out the Career Center's REES Career Guide.