Study Abroad

CREES encourages students in REES degree programs and from across the university to pursue education abroad experiences in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia. Visit our Student Funding page for information about grants from CREES and other U-M units to support internships, research projects, and study in the region. 

Moscow Study Tour, 2008. Alaina Lemon, associate professor of anthropology, with U-M students and their Russian hosts. Photo by Zane Salim.


Internship Opportunities in Ukraine

Led and organized by Svitlana Rogovyk, lecturer and language program coordinator in the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, the internship opportunities are available at Kyiv Art Arsenal, Lviv City Administration, and Lviv Catholic University.

U-M Ann Arbor students may apply for summer funding to help support participation in this program. Before traveling to Ukraine on university-related purposes, please review and consult the U-M International Travel Policy and list of University Travel Warning and Travel Restriction Destinations.

Interested students should contact Svitlana Rogovyk for an application.

Poland 2015 Study Abroad Program

Application Deadline: EXTENDED to March 31, 2015

The University of Michigan, Dearborn offers an interdisciplinary undergraduate study abroad program in major Polish cities. Led by U-M Dearborn history professors Anna Muller and Jamie L. Wraight, the program will take place from May 27-June 24, 2015. More information

U-M Ann Arbor students may apply for Copernicus Summer Grants or Amelia Kulesa Konopka Fellowships to help support participation in this program.

Interested students should contact Erica Ross for an application.

CREES Study Tours

CREES occasionally sponsors short-term interdisciplinary study tours in Poland and Russia. The Center's most recent offering was a Moscow Study Tour in May 2008.  Please re-visit the CREES website for future programs.

Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)

U-M's Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) offers several semester and year-long study abroad opportunities in Eastern Europe and Russia for which U-M students receive in-residence (not transfer) credit. Visit M-Compass to search for current program offerings in the Czech Republic, Poland, and Russia.

University of Michigan Travel Policy

Effective 9/1/11, all U-M students traveling abroad for University-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to 

  1. Register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and 
  2. Buy U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad. For information about the plan's benefits and costs, see Travel Abroad Health Insurance.

For information about immunizations and other travel-related health matters, see Travel Health Services.

Other Education Abroad Options in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia

Some students opt to pursue study abroad programs on their own that are not sponsored by U-M (see sample programs listed below). Courses taken on non-U-M programs may or may not count for credit or towards distribution or major requirements. Please consult with the LSA Academic Advising Center and your department advisor for advice on transfer credits before enrolling in these non-U-M programs. 

Two useful resources for program options are:

  1. The CREES opportunities blog
  2. The International Center's Education Abroad Office (a clearinghouse for information on a broad range of education abroad options including study, internships, volunteering, etc.)

Programs at Other U.S. Colleges and Universities

Other Information Resources or Program Providers